Wednesday, June 14, 2006

My First Class-Tuesday June 13

\"\"
\"\"
\"\"

My first scheduled class lasted 2 hours and was a nervous joy. I had nine keen and curious little students and was helped by Vicky, my teaching assistant.

The orange cloth contraption is my first innovation in teaching for the school. Its a collection of objects (bought from Wal-Mart!) that I used for vocabulary development.

I ask kids to reach in without looking and pullout an object-and then guess what it is. When each child has an object, I ask them to describe it and explain what it is to the rest of the class.

We supplemented the planned textbook exercises with a series a word games, \'Simon says\' and guessing games based on the \'magic vocabulary box\'.

After the class, I met with all the parents and (with the help of a translator) answered all questions. Most of the parents looked at me with a wall of silence with only two of the parents doing all the questioning.

Most of my classes are on the weekend with Monday as my official day off. I also have three evening classes during the week. All the classes are two hours long with a 10-minute break.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't see the pictures-.-;;

4:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good to know you made a safe trip. We were a bit concern about you.
Saturday we went to Pascal and Irina simul. After losing her first game with Irina, Alexandra "re-loaded" and draw her after missing a force mate in 4, gaining confidence in the afternoon she draw Pascal, after he made took a wrong pawn in the endgame. Jonah, Janak and all the Sabaratnam kids played also.

Please keep in touch with us "Canadians".

Andrei

..and yes, we can see the pictures

9:20 AM  
Blogger Michael Yip said...

Something has gone wrong with the edit feature for me so I cannot post pictures anymore.

Thanks for the encouragement.

7:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Keep up the good work. thnx!
»

6:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home